International Admissions Process

All prospective students, whether domestic or international, will follow the same Admissions Process.

In addition, all international students:

  • are required to have a confirmed supervisor and funding in place at the time of application.
  • will be interviewed by a member of the Admissions Committee.

Prospective international students will also need the following supplementary requisite documents submitted with their applications. 

For questions on the international admissions process, contact the Admissions Officer at  

International Degree Equivalency

Applicants educated at non-Canadian institutions should note that their educational background will be assessed for equivalency to a University of Toronto degree.  You can check your international degree equivalency here

Language Requirement

If you received your previous degree from a university  where English is not the language of instruction, you must complete one of the following tests within one year of your application. If you have taken any of these tests more than one year prior to application, you must retake the test. 

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the Test of Written English (TWE).

These two tests are taken together. Minimum scores are as follows:

Test  Internet Based Exam Paper Based Exam
Test of English as a Foreign Language

Overall: 100

Writing Score: 25

Speaking Score: 25

Test of Written English
Not Applicable 5

See the TOEFL website for more information. 

Certificate of Proficiency in English (COPE)

Of the three tests, your cumulative test score must be a minimum of 86; your Writing score must be at least 32, and your Reading and Listening scores must both be at least 22.  Your Oral Proficiency Assessment Band should be equivalent to a 7.  See the COPE website for more information. 

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic 

A score of 7.5 is required, with at least a score of 6.5 for each component. See the IELTS website for more information. 

Student Study Permit (Visa)

Once granted an offer of admission, you must hold a valid Student Authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to study in Canada. In some cases, a Temporary Resident Visa is required before entering Canada. 

Under no circumstances should you leave for Canada until you receive a confirmation of acceptance of admission to the University of Toronto, and you hold a valid entry visa and student authorization.  

Upon receiving an offer of admission, you should contact the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate to begin the process. 

You can also visit the University of Toronto Centre for International Experience  website for information on obtaining a study permit. 

International Student Fees

International fees apply to non-exempt international students. It includes the University Health Insurance Plan premium, which all international students must obtain. 


  • International applicants need to secure supervisor and funding at the time of completing their application.
  • Applicants with an international degree will be invited for an interview with a member of the Admissions Committee.