PhD Graduate Stimulus Grant
The IMS PhD Graduate Stimulus Grant is a new initiative designed to encourage IMS faculty members to accept PhD students into their research program.
Up to 25 grant allocations of $10,000 each will be provided to help offset the stipend for a new PhD graduate student who is registered in the 2023-24 Academic Year. See below for further information.
- Principal Investigator must hold a current Full IMS membership.
- Limit of one PhD Graduate Stimulus Grant per Principal Investigator each year.
- Students must be accepted by IMS and registered into the PhD Graduate program (PhD or PhD Direct Entry), and the GEMS graduate student-supervisor agreement must be completed and signed by September 15th, 2023, to be considered.
- Students who enter the IMS PhD Graduate Program with a major award ($15,000 or above) are not eligible for this grant.
- Supervisors must apply online by Thursday, August 31, 2023 at 5:00 pm.
- Final decisions on fund allocation will be made by the IMS Associate Director and the Graduate Coordinators.
- Grant payments are processed through ACORN at the beginning of each session: September, January, and May. We strongly recommend that students set up direct deposit by logging into their ACORN account and adding their Canadian banking information. Direct deposit will ensure that students receive their payment(s) quickly.
- Students who withdraw, complete degree requirements, transfer to another program/graduate unit, or fail to complete the full session prior to the end of their grant, may be required to repay the funds already received for the incomplete session.
GEMS Funding Table
- Students and/or their supervisors must not manually add the grant to the funding table. The funds are administered by the IMS and once the payment has been processed through ACORN, the amount will automatically appear on the students’ GEMS agreement.
PhD Graduate Stimulus Grant Application