Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master’s Students
Number of scholarship available for 2023/24: pending
Value of Scholarship: $15,000 for each recipient
Deadline to Apply: Friday June 30th 2023, 11:59 pm EST
The Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Science Education (OVDRHSE) is pleased to announce the establishment of the Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master’s Students by the School of Graduate Studies at the University of Toronto. This scholarship aims to diversify academia by supporting the recruitment of first-year master’s students who are thinking of pursuing PhD studies in the future. This scholarship was established in response to recommendations emerging from the Weecheehetowin Final Report of the Steering Committee for the University of Toronto Response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, The Anti-Black Racism Task Force Final Report, and the Scarborough Charter.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, all the following criteria must be met:
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, all the of the following criteria must be met
1) Applied to a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, this includes any thesis-based, course-based and professional master’s programs (i.e., MSc, MHSc, MScOT, MScPT)
2) Masters application, at time of applying to this scholarship, falls under one of the following categories
- Departmental decision is pending
- Offered admission to master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Accepted admission into a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
3) Self-identify as a Black and/or Indigenous to Turtle Island applicant;
4) Demonstrate a distinguished record of professional/volunteer/community experience or leadership;
5) Submit a UofT online OGS Application to the nominating unit (nominees need not be OGS eligible);
6) Have not been awarded other major internal or external funding in excess of $10,000 (excluding governmental loans/grants, e.g., OSAP, or band funding) at the time of offer;
7) intent to start a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine for Fall 2023
How to Apply
Interested students should apply directly to the Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Sciences Education (OVDRHSE) by completing the following steps by Friday June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm:
Step 1: click here to fill out an application by Friday June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm.
Step 2: complete an Ontario Graduate Scholarship application by Friday June 30, 2023 at 11:59pm; please note applicants must elaborate on why s/he may be interested in pursuing doctoral studies (PhD) after obtaining their master’s degree in their Plan of Study.
Please note the following:
OVDRHSE has access to all OGS applications submitted by our TFOM graduate students.
Please ignore the June 1, 2023 application deadline on the SGS OGS application website provided above
Students must self-identify as Black or Indigenous to Turtle Island using the application form
Students do not need to secure a thesis supervisor at time of application to this scholarship
Adjudication and Communication to Successful Candidates
- Applications will be assessed in July 2023 by an adjudication committee that represents the diversity of TFOM.
- Successful candidates will be informed in August 2023 and given 10 business days to accept the offer.