Institute of Medical Science Students’ Association
Click here to visit the new IMSSA website.
All students registered in the Institute of Medical Science are members of the IMS Students’ Association (IMSSA), and are expected to take an active part in the organization. A portion of your incidental fees goes to the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU), which in turn funds the IMSSA.
The IMSSA Executive is an elected body that represents students’ views and interests by participating in the standing committees of the IMS, and organizes various academic and social events throughout the year. The IMSSA Executive meets bi-weekly to plan these events and discuss issues of relevance to students. In addition, each member of the Executive fulfills certain specific duties. Elections to office are held annually
We are the Institute of Medical Science Students’ Association (IMSSA) and represent the interests of graduate students at the Institute of Medical Science (IMS). IMSSA engages graduate students, staff and faculty of the IMS, with our primary mission being to promote the well-being of our student body as we attend to a wide range of student needs. We inspire students to participate in initiatives, activities and events beyond the lab setting within the realms of our various subcommittees: social, community and outreach, sports, academics and wellness. This framework creates a bonded community and encourages the sharing of experiences, skills and ideas during and beyond students’ graduate degree.
Our major achievements are establishing new and recurring (annual) events and initiatives that have both strengthened our student community and benefited the community at large. For example, we have an annual ‘Warm Hands Cold Streets’ event, in which IMS students come together during the holidays to take on numerous routes in downtown Toronto and disseminate warm clothing and other goods to homeless shelters as well as people living on the street. Another successful annual event is the documentary screening event, in which a health topic is featured in a film and we shed light on it from educational and advocacy perspectives. On a smaller scale, but equally impactful, we have also developed an academic seminar series program that rotates through various professional paths for graduates of the IMS. We are also proud of the social and sporting events that we offer, including intramural games, as in keeping with our aim to enrich students’ lives outside of the lab, we bring our student body together.
For the IMSSA events calendar, click here.
Who should connect with us?
Any current IMS student or prospective IMS student! There is room on IMSSA for every kind of student!
If you would like to join IMSSA or if you would like to make an announcement through the IMSSA newsletter, please email us at email@example.com, or reach out to us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
2022 - 2023 Executive Council
- Co-Presidents: Vanessa De Gregorio and Danny Bojic
- Vice-President of Operations: Alex Boshart
- Vice-President of External Affairs: Stephen Cho
- Treasurer: Lauren Levy
- Director of Internal Communications: Kristina Zhang
- Director of External Communications: Annie Fu
- Secretary: Joanna Cunanan
- Director of Academic Affairs: Raesham Mahmood
- Deputy for Academic Affairs: Kristen Ashworth
- Director of Social Affairs: Kim Main
- Deputy for Social Affairs: Jenna Baer
- Director of Sporting Events: Jesscia Muha
- Deputy for Sporting Events: Steven Dang
- Director of Community Outreach, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity: Valentina Tamayo
- Deputy for Community Outreach, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity: Kowsar Teymouri
- Director of Wellness and Wellbeing Initiatives: Anastassia Mena
- Deputy for Wellness and Wellbeing Initiatives: Molly Zhang
- Graduate Student Union Reps: Danica Johnson, Salsabil Siddiqui, and Rafi Matin
- First-year/SURP Rep: Goldin Joghataie
- PhD Student Rep: Hamzah Khan
- CAMH Site Directors: Aron Amaev and Justyne Rodas
- SickKids Site Directors: Julia Novielli and Stephanie Benjamin
- MaRS Discovery District Site Directors: Jenny Yune and Sabrina Yasna
- Mt. Sinai & Toronto Rehab Site Director: Sara Corvinelli
- Princess Margaret Hospital Site Director: Kyla Trkulja
- St. Michael's Hospital Site Director: Argyrios Perivolaris and Abbey McFarland
- TGH Site Director: Neeki Alavi and Taylor Kain
- TWH & Baycrest Hospital: Kristen Ashworth and Sarah Sadat
For previous executive councils, click here.