2022 Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master’s Students
Number of scholarship available for 2022/23: 3
Value of Scholarship: $15,000 for each recipient
Deadline to Apply: Monday, June 27, 2022
The Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Science Education (OVDRHSE) is pleased to announce the establishment of the Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master’s Students by the School of Graduate Studies at the University of Toronto. This scholarship aims to diversify academia by supporting the recruitment of first-year master’s students who are thinking of pursuing PhD studies in the future. This scholarship was established in response to recommendations emerging from the Weecheehetowin Final Report of the Steering Committee for the University of Toronto Response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, The Anti-Black Racism Task Force Final Report, and the Scarborough Charter. For 2022/23, three scholarships will be available.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, all the following criteria must be met:
1) Applied to a master’s program starting Fall 2022 in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine; this includes any thesis-based, course-based and professional master’s programs (i.e., eligible degrees are MSc, MHSc, MScOT, MScPT)
2) Master’s application, at the time of applying to this scholarship, falls under one of the following categories
- Your application is pending, OR;
- You have received an offer of admission to master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto but have not responded by the departmental deadline, OR;
- You have accepted admission into a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
3) Self-identify as a Black and/or Indigenous applicant
4) Demonstrate a distinguished record of professional/volunteer/community experience or leadership
5) Submit a UofT online OGS Application to the nominating unit (nominees need not be OGS eligible)
6) Have not been awarded other major internal or external funding in excess of $10,000 (excluding governmental loans/grants, e.g., OSAP, or band funding) at the time of offer.
How to Apply
Interested students should apply directly to the Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Sciences Education (OVDRHSE) by completing the following steps by Monday June 27, 2022 at 11:59pm:
Step 1: click here to fill out an application by Monday June 27, 2022 at 11:59pm.
Step 2: complete an Ontario Graduate Scholarship application by Monday June 27, 2022 at 11:59pm; please note applicants must elaborate on why s/he may be interested in pursuing doctoral studies (PhD) after obtaining their master’s degree in their Plan of Study.
Please note the following:
- OVDRHSE has access to all OGS applications submitted by our TFOM graduate students
- Please ignore the June 1, 2022 application deadline on the SGS OGS application website provided above
- Students must self-identify as Black or Indigenous using the application form
- Students do not need to secure a thesis supervisor at time of application to this scholarship
Adjudication and Communication to Successful Candidates
- Applications will be assessed in July 2022 by an adjudication committee that represents the diversity of TFOM.
- Successful candidates will be informed before August 12, 2022 and given 10 business days to accept the offer.