Promotion/Change of Status
During the term of membership, you may request to have your level of graduate faculty membership reviewed and changed as required. You are expected to have completed a graduate supervision when requesting promotion from Associate Member to Member.
An application for promotion requires the submission of the following documents:
- IMS Graduate Faculty Membership Form
- Letter stating the following:
- Your reason(s) why a promotion is requested (e.g. to directly supervise MSc or PhD students, participate in Program Advisory Committees, vote at PhD Senate Oral Examinations)
- Your preferred membership level
- Your previous graduate supervisory/teaching experience (for those who hold a graduate faculty membership in another graduate unit)
- An updated curriculum vitae (CIHR format preferred, full or academic style) containing the following information:
- Academic appointment(s) at U of T
- List of publications
- Grants and/or funding held and applied for, indicating start and end dates
- Description of lab space; if the lab is not located on the St. George campus, also include a description of resources/personnel that would contribute to the quality of the students’ graduate experience
- Summary of experience relevant to graduate supervision including classroom teaching, advisory committee membership, and laboratory training of students (graduate, undergraduate, postdoctoral fellows, residents, etc.)
- Letter of support from the Chair of the academic department at the University of Toronto where you hold your primary academic appointment. Please note that the IMS does not grant primary academic appointments (Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor, Lecturer, Adjunct, Emeritus). Rather, IMS grants graduate appointments (Full Member, Associate Member, Restricted Associate Member, Member Emeritus).
- If your primary graduate faculty membership is in another graduate unit, a letter of support from the Chair/Director of your graduate unit. If your primary graduate unit is the IMS, it is not necessary to request this letter.
- Other supporting information (e.g. letter of support from the hospital research institute director for funding strategies) (Optional).
All the above information should be sent via email to the Institute of Medical Science. You will receive confirmation when your application is complete.
Completed dossiers will be reviewed and nominated by the IMS Graduate Faculty Membership Committee for final approval by the School of Graduate Studies. Upon occasion, additional information may be solicited. You will be notified of the decision in writing.
Letters should be addressed to:
Dr. Karen Gordon
Chair, Graduate Faculty Membership Committee
Institute of Medical Science
Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
1 King’s College Circle, Room 2374
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8