What you need to know.
Medical student applicants must not hold a graduate degree and must be in good standing as determined by their school registrar.
A list of faculty recruiting students for the 2019 program will be available at the end of the year 2018.
Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program or medical school at a post-secondary institution outside of Canada. Must have an average of B+ or 77%, or higher.
The International Application Package for 2019 intake will be available at the end of the year 2018:
- Are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents and have a valid Social Insurance Number.
- Enrolled in an undergraduate degree program (including final 4th year) or medical school.
- Have an average of B+ cumulative GPA (3.3/4.0 or 77%) or higher. Medical students must not hold a graduate degree and must be in good standing as determined by their registrar.
The Domestic application package for 2019 intake will be available at the end of the year 2018 and will consist of the following:
- Domestic Students Application Form
- Most recent official transcript (screenshots of electronic records and hard copies will not be accepted) -> for undergraduate students.
- Official letter of Good Standing with institutional seal and signature, obtained from current university -> for medical students only.
- Current CV/Resume highlighting awards, abstracts, presentations, publications
Please take note regarding changes that have been made to the funding policy.
The following funding options are available to domestic students accepted to the program. Students receive a minimum stipend $4,800 in total (June-August) through one of the following:
OPTION #1: External Funding. The student funds their summer research through an external grant or award. The IMS office does not administer this option. For possible sources of external funding visit the Faculty of Medicine, Research Office.
OPTION #2: Full Funding from the Supervisor. The supervisor funds the student ($4,800) through an operating grant, affiliated research facility funds etc. The IMS office does not administer this option.
OPTION #3: Joint Funding*. IMS provides $2,000 and the supervisor to provide the remaining $2,800. IMS funding is subject to availability. This option is a competitive process and not guaranteed.
- Limit of one joint funded applicant per supervisor.
- Students must have an average of A- (3.7/4.0 or 80%) or higher Cumulative GPA.
- If the joint funding is not successful, the student and supervisor should come to an agreement on alternate plans for funding.
*Funding for the administration of joint awards is provided by:
a) UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program) Award.
b) IMS Award.
c) IMS SURP Director Award *New 2018* – Open to all currently registered undergraduates (BSc) including those in 4th year.
SURP Application Deadline
Applications Deadline for SURP 2019 – February 15 at 11:59 pm EST