Fees & Funding
Fees & Funding Policy
The University of Toronto requires that all new and continuing doctoral stream students receive an annual student stipend. A “stipend” refers to the funds a student receives during the program funding commitment period. Doctoral stream students include IMS MSc and PhD students. It does not include IMS students registered in a professional degree program.
The annual base stipend for all new and continuing students in the MSc program is guaranteed for the first 2 years of the MSc program. The annual base stipend for new and continuing PhD students is guaranteed for the first 5 years of their program and 6 years for the PhD Direct Entry program. All stipend values are listed below.
2020-2021 IMS Funding Policy
|PROGRAM||TUITION||LIVING ALLOWANCE||UHIP||BASE STIPEND AMOUNT||TOP-UP
AWARD TOP-UP PRACTICES
|$0.00 to $2000||There will be no top-up but the student gets to keep the award(s), up to a combined maximum of $2,000. The amount of the award will not be deducted from the base funding.|
|Between $2,001 to $9,999 (cumulative awards)||Award goes towards the base funding and the student receives a $2,000 top-up over their base funding.|
|Between $10,000 to $15,000(cumulative awards)||Award goes towards the base funding and student receives a $3,000 top-up over their base funding.|
|Over $15,000 (cumulative awards $15,001 and up)||Award goes towards the base funding and student receives a $4,000 top-up over their base funding.|
|Award(s) greater than base stipend plus $4,000||Ineligible for top-up|
- Applicants may be eligible for an entrance award in their first year – some conditions apply.
- It is the responsibility of the supervisor to provide the student with the top-up.
- Within an academic year, the total cumulative top-up maximum is $4,000.
The top-up is only provided in increments of $2,000, $3,000 or $4,000 per year (does not exceed 12 months) and is added above the base funding amount.
- Top-up eligibility excludes University of Toronto Fellowship (e.g, UTF Open, IMS Entrance Award), Doctoral Completion Awards, travel awards, and bursaries.
- Payment of top-ups will occur annually for the duration of the award. Thereafter, the student will revert back to the appropriate base graduate student funding package amount.
- A student, who receives award(s) exceeding the amount equivalent to the base funding and top-up, will not be eligible to receive a top-up for these award(s).
Applicants are expected to apply for external awards as soon as possible. Your application for admission will be enhanced if you have peer-reviewed external funding (i.e. CIHR Doctoral Award, NSERC Studentship, Ontario Graduate Scholarship) at the outset of your degree program. Most funding agency deadlines are at least 9 months before the start date of the award, and applications require original transcripts and letters of recommendation. Most available Canadian sources of funding give preference to persons with Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status.
The IMS regularly informs registered students of funding opportunities and our internal deadlines as they arise. Ensure your email is up to date on ACORN to receive our communications.