Exit off canvas

General Fee Information

A student is considered registered when a Statement of Agreement funding information – GEMS has been completed by the student and supervisor and approved by the IMS office, and a tuition payment has been made or an arrangement to defer fees.  Students must pay or defer fees by the date indicated on their fees invoice (usually the end of August for full year registration, or the end of December for winter term only registration).

Fee schedules together with incidental fees can be viewed on the Student Accounts website.

Please make sure that your mailing address and email address are updated on ACORN when you pay your fees

Accessing an Invoice and How to Pay Fees

The Student Accounts Office does not mail fees invoices and information sheets. Students must check their invoice on the ACORN website.  Fees payment information is included in your invoice and is available on the Student Accounts website (under School of Graduate Studies). Students can pay fees as soon as their invoice is updated on ACORN. This will occur following the fee assessment about 6 weeks before the beginning of the term.

Students who are paying fees outside Canada may forward payment by certified cheque or money order in Canadian funds directly to the Student Accounts Office, Financial Services Department, 215 Huron St.

Extra Fees

Students are assessed fees for all programs for which they have been given a final offer of admission, unless the offer was refused. New students who have received multiple offers of admission from U of T and have not refused them will find multiple fees assessed.

Students who have finished all degree requirements and their degree not yet conferred, may fine the next term’s fee posted on ACORN. This will be adjusted when your degree completion has been processed.

Final Year Fees

Details on final year fees for MSc and PhD students can be found here.

Fees Deferrals

All students must make arrangements for payment of their tuition fees prior to or at the start of each academic year. A tuition fee deferral can be made by a student who  is receiving the graduate full funding.  Students can defer their fees directly on ACORN after they have cleared any condition(s) to their registration and that they are within their funding cohort limit (2 yrs for MSc and 5 yrs for PhD).  However, if a student has arrears  of $100 or more, he/she cannot defer fees.  A tuition deferral does not mean that fees are not outstanding; the deferral permits a student to register without making a fees payment and also determines when service charges accrue on outstanding accounts.

Reinstatement Fee

Students whose time limit for the degree completion has expired and are now returning to defend a thesis (for a maximum of 12 months), are required to be reinstated and pay a one session reinstatement fee. Students who are reinstated before the time for the degree completion are responsible for fees for sessions they have not registered in but were required to do so.

Late Registration Fee

After the registration deadline, late registrants must go directly to SGS to register and provide proof of fees payment or a deferral request.  Late registration fees will be charged.  All course enrolments will be canceled and students will have to re-enroll by the enrolment deadline.

Please note that students who do not register by the deadline will not receive T2202A tuition credit for the month of September.

Tax Receipts

Your T2202A Education Tax receipt will be available on ACORN at the beginning of the calendar year.  Remember, the receipt reflects fees paid in the calendar year (January to December) and not the academic year (September to August).  Tax receipts for student stipends are processed through the Payroll office that paid out the award.

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is compulsory for all international students. Dependents must enroll within 30 days of their arrival.

The International Student Centre is responsible for administering UHIP, distributing cards, processing exemptions and refunds, as well as answering questions. Contact the UHIP administrator by email or phone at 978-0290 or visit the ISC UHIP website.

Information on how to opt out of UHIP, in special circumstances, is available at the Graduate Students Union website.