Search for friends and make new connections with the Institute of Medical Science Online Community.
Membership to the Institute of Medical Science (IMS) Online Community is available to faculty and students. In order to access “members-only” areas of this online community, you must first register. Once you’ve registered, simply enter your User ID and Password when prompted as you browse the community.
If you are an IMS Faculty your profile should be pre-loaded. Simply click ‘Login’ and ‘Lost Password’ to reset. You will receive an email to change your password and then can login into your faculty profile. If you profile does not exist please follow the steps below to register.
Registration is only necessary during your first visit. After you complete your registration and choose a User ID and password all future visits will simply require that you enter in your User ID and password when you enter a member’s only area of the community.
Registration Step 1: Register
The first step of the registration process requires that you provide your name and details. Since membership in this community is limited to members of your institution, your community administrator will approve your request to join once your information has been submitted.
To proceed with registration, click the ‘Register’ link at the top of the Home Page and enter your information in the form provided. Last name is required at a minimum; however the more information you enter the more refined the search. You do not have to complete the full form to perform a search for your name.
Registration Step 2: Select your name from the search results list
What if I’m already registered?
If the system informs you that you are already registered, there are a few possible explanations:
- You really have already registered. If this is the case, you don’t need to register again. Simply go to any member’s only area within the community and enter your User ID and password when prompted. If you have forgotten your User ID or password go to the home page or within the Login area, and click on Lost ID or Password.
- If there is an error, contact the administrator to add/confirm your registration
Registration Step 3: Select User ID and password
At this point you have successfully identified yourself and the system has acknowledged that you are authorized to register. You will now need to complete the registration form, including the selection of your community User ID and password that you will use to access the community on future visits. In addition to specifying a User ID and password, you are required to provide and email address at which you want to receive communications from the community administrator and other members; your favorite colour for validation purposes if you forget your User ID and password; and you must agree to the Terms and Conditions of User for the Online Community.
Your User ID and password must be different. Both are case-sensitive, so be sure to enter them exactly as you wish to use them. Use care in selecting your User ID, since, if your community offers permanent email forwarding, this will become the first part of your Permanent Email Address. User ID’s, once selected, cannot be changed.
Passwords must be at least 6 (and no more than 20) characters long. You can change your password at any time after you register. If you wish to change your password, proceed ‘My Account’ at the top of the Home Page and and choose ‘My Profile’ then “Edit Profile” an ‘Password’.
Terms and Conditions of Use
All members of the Online Community are expected to adhere to certain norms in their use of the system, their interaction with other members, and their treatment of the information that the system provides. In order to register for the community, you must first read and agree to these terms and conditions. To acknowledge your agreement, select the Accept button on the registration form when asked the question “Do you accept the above terms and conditions?”
The IMS Online Community is provided by the Institute of Medical Science and is designed to facilitate communication among students and faculty for personal and University-related purposes. To safeguard the operation of the Online Community, the IMS has adopted the following guidelines and policies.
Guidelines & Policies for Use
Information available on the Online Community is intended for the private use of the Institute of Medical Science and its purposes. Users of the Online Community must abide by the following rules:
- Unauthorized use of information available on the Online Community for commercial, political, or business purposes, such as selling products or sending broadcast email, is strictly prohibited.
- Use of communications available through the Online Community for any commercial, public, or political purposes is strictly prohibited. Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to, solicitations for commercial services and mass mailings for commercial purposes.
- Members may download or copy any downloadable materials displayed on the Online Community for home, non-commercial, and personal use only and must maintain all copyright, trademark, and other notices contained in such material and they agree to abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in any material accessed through the Online Community.
- Members shall not restrict or inhibit any other user from enjoying any service offered through the Online Community, and shall not post obscene materials or use abusive, defamatory, profane, or threatening language of any kind. Additionally, users shall not upload, transmit, distribute, or otherwise publish any materials containing a virus or any other harmful component.
- All aliases adopted by Online Community members are subject to approval by the IMS.
The IMS is NOT responsible for the accuracy of the information available on, and has no obligation to monitor the use of, the Online Community. The IMS makes no representations relating to member use of the Online Community or concerning the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of any information found on the site. It is essential that users of the Online Community report any abuse or misuse of the Online Community by emailing Michelle Rosen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Participation in the Online Community is a privilege. The IMS reserves the right to suspend or terminate the accounts of any individuals who misuse the information contained in the Online Community or otherwise violate this user agreement.
Your privacy is a top priority to the IMS. The IMS does not share, sell or trade mailing lists (including email addresses) with outside corporations or organizations, except for those that have business or contractual relationships with the University (e.g., Faculty of Medicine, Office of Advancement).
The IMS takes reasonable precautions to assure overall system security by monitoring security issues and industry trends, to protect the privacy of Online Community members and secure the personal information available through the Online Community. All areas of the Online Community that contain private information are housed on a secure server using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) 128-bit encryption.
The Online Community is also password-protected to allow access only to registered IMS users. All users will be verified by the IMS prior to being given permission to join the online community. Although these precautions should help to protect any personal information available through the Online Community from abuse or outside interference, a certain degree of privacy risk is faced any time information is shared over the Internet. Therefore, Online Community members have the ability to selectively hide the personal information that is listed in the community to be viewed by other Online Community members. This is easily accomplished by clicking on the Privacy Preferences link on your My Personal Profile page. The IMS invites you to explore this page, review your record, and select any and all privacy settings you wish to apply. The information we do maintain about the user in the Online Community is available only under the following restricted circumstances:
- To IMS users who have registered with the Online Community, and
- To the IMS Curriculum, Web and Communications Officer, which maintains the Online Community under strict confidentiality requirements.
Privacy – Students
The following are the Terms of Service for creating a student profile on the IMS website. By registering a student profile you agree to have the following information made public on the IMS Website: first name, last name, and your user type (ie. student). You will have the choice, once registered, to change permissions so that the following information can be made public: Title, Prefix, Degrees, Bio, Website URL and Publications. Once registered, you will have the opportunity to participate in a student Online Community, which involves adding other registered students and faculty as friends, and creating student groups. Your friends will be able to see the information that is not public. You will also be able to adjust what information your friends see. By participating in this site, other site participants will be able to send you a private message within the site.
Privacy – Faculty
The following are the Terms of Service for creating a faculty profile on the IMS website. By registering a faculty profile you agree to have the following information made public on the IMS Website: title, prefix, first name, last name, and your user type (ie. faculty), Academic Appointment Information including primary academic department, research institute and eligibility to supervise students, current projects, degrees, bio, website URL, and PubMed URL will also be displayed. You will have the choice once registered to change permissions on what can be made public. Once registered, you will have the opportunity to participate in a faculty Online Community, which involves adding other registered faculty and students members as friends, and creating faculty groups. Your friends will be able to see the information that is not public. You will also be able to adjust what information your friends see. By participating in this site, other site participants will be able to send you a private message within the site.
Scope of Use
Certain areas of this website enable you to submit e-mails or otherwise provide feedback or information to the IMS.
You agree that by submitting any content to this website:
- You will only submit content that complies with applicable law and will not submit content that is abusive, defamatory, obscene, infringing, threatening, repetitive, or otherwise inappropriate, or that contains any viruses or other software that may adversely affect the operation of another’s computer;
- You understand and agree that such content that is submitted to a feedback page will be deemed non-confidential
- You grant to the University an irrevocable right to use, copy, modify, publish, perform, transmit and display such content via any media in accordance with the University Privacy Statement. Subject to the University Privacy Statement, it shall be free to use such content, including any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in such content, for any reason whatsoever; and
- You have not used a false e-mail address, impersonated any person or entity, or otherwise misled us as to the origin of any content, and you agree to indemnify us for all claims arising from your claims to any rights in any content.
The most important function of the IMS is keeping its constituents, including alumni, donors, friends, faculty/staff and students connected to the IMS and to each other. Consequently, the IMS compiles both public and private information about all constituents. This notice is to inform you of how we use the information we collect and how you can limit that use.
The IMS collects information about its constituents from these sources:
- Information you send us, whether through correspondence, membership applications and renewals, e-mail, surveys, website registrations, your online community profile, etc.
- Information we receive from our affiliates
- Our database is for the sole use of the IMS and the Faculty of Medicine.
Use of Information
The IMS reserves the right, and you authorize the IMS, to the use and assignment of all information regarding your use of this website and all information provided by you in any manner consistent with IMS Mandates.