Co-Chairs: Melvin Silverman and Mingyao Liu
Breakfast and registration (8:00 – 8:30am)
Morning Session (8:30 – 10:45am)
Welcome and objectives
- Mingyao Liu, IMS Director
- Trevor Young, Dean, Faculty of Medicine, UofT
- Cheryl Regehr, Provost, University of Toronto
Chair: Trevor Young, Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Uof T and Daniel Jay, Dean, Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University
- IMS and Clinical Departments – A 50 year synergic relationship: Rebooting for the next 50! – Mel Silverman, former IMS Director, Professor of Medicine, UofT
- Graduate training in clinical departments and hospitals – Allan Kaplan, Vice Dean Graduate and Academic Affairs, FofM, UofT
- Graduate training in medical science at Harvard Medical School – David Cardozo, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, Director of the Division of Medical Sciences, Harvard University
- The 10,000 PhDs Project: Implications for Graduate Education in IMS – Reinhart Reithmeier, Senior Advisor to the Dean of School of Graduate Studies, former Chair of Biochemistry
Coffee break (10:45 – 11:00am)
Concurrent Sessions (11:00am – 12:30pm)
Session I. Student support and engagement
Chairs: Luc Di Nil, Acting Dean Students, SGS and Garth McCavana, Dean for Student Affairs, Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- The role of faculty members – Howard Mount, Professor, IMS Director of Education and Graduate coordinator, UofT
- The role of staff members – Dan Volchok, Associate Dean, Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University
- Helping Hands: The Role of Peer Support and Mentorship in Graduate Training – Craig Madho, MHSc Candidate and IMS Students Association Co-President
Session II. Development of interdisciplinary research programs
Chairs: Mel Silverman, former IMS Director and David Cardozo, Associate Dean for Graduate Studies, Director of the Division of Medical Sciences, Harvard University
- Proposal for introducing programmatic based graduate science curriculum – Cindi Morshead, Professor and Chair of Division of Anatomy, Department of Surgery, former IMS Graduate Coordinator, UofT
- The American experience – TBC
- The Canadian experience: Program Areas within Medical Sciences at McMaster University – Judy West-Mays, Assistant Dean, Medical Sciences Graduate Program, McMaster University
Session III. Developing graduate courses.
Chairs: Gregory Downey, Associate Dean, University of Colorado and Tara Beattie, Associate Dean, Graduate Science Education, University of Calgary
- Training PhD students with medical knowledge – Connie Cepko, Co-Director, Leder Medical Sciences Program, Harvard
- Disruptive technologies – Preparing students for tomorrow – Lucy Su, Ontario Government
- Graduate course review and renovation – Anne-Marie Lauzon, Director of Division of Experimental Medicine, McGill University
Lunch and networking opportunities (12:30 – 1:30pm)
Afternoon Session (1:30 – 3:30pm)
Chairs: Reports from concurrent sessions (1:30 – 2:00pm)
Panel discussion: Clinician Investigator Training – the future leaders (2:00 – 3:00 pm)
Chairs: Catharine Whiteside, former Dean, Faculty of Medicine, UofT and Eliot Phillipson, former Chair of Department of Medicine, UofT
Panelists: Clinical chairs from Faculty of Medicine, UofT.
Topics to be discussed:
- What kinds of Clinician Scientists and Clinician Investigators would you like to hire?
- How do we encourage trainees to regain an interest in biomedical science?
- How do we deal with the shortage of funding for MD/PhD students in Canada?
- How do we best manage non-MD graduate students in clinical departments?
- Should clinical chairs be involved in graduate education?
Keynote presentation: Graduate education in biomedical science (3:00 – 3:30 pm)
Introduction: Aubie Angel, former IMS Director and President, Friends of CIHR
Speaker: Shirley Tilghman, President Emerita, Princeton University