Faculty Engagement Upon Appointment – Member
Your acceptance of this offer of a Graduate Faculty Appointment in the School of Graduate Studies and the IMS comes with certain responsibilities and expectations. Such engagement will help your promotion and/or teaching dossier, and yearly activity reports. Such engagement will also facilitate the continued activities of the IMS for the success of its faculty, trainees and sustained excellence in graduate education.
On your letter of offer you will be asked to confirm the following before the appointment is activated:
Your acceptance of the following terms for your IMS Graduate Faculty Membership as a Full Member.
As a Full Member you are eligible to:
(i) serve as the sole or major supervisor of MSc and PhD students and you must guarantee funding for the minimum duration of their programs;
(ii) participate on Program Advisory Committees (PACs),
(iii) serve as chair or voting member of a final oral examination committee, and perform all associated duties;
(iv) participate in a variety of roles in the IMS including one or more IMS committees as required (https://ims.utoronto.ca/about-us/committees/);
(v) teach, set, and mark examinations for an IMS graduate course and give other such graduate direction as may be required. You are also encouraged to participate in IMS Scientific Day and serve as judges for student presentations and posters.
That you accept that chairing graduate student examinations is an expectation and a requirement of a Graduate Faculty Appointment at the University of Toronto.
Your willingness to contribute to the activities and function of IMS in at least one of the following roles:
- IMS Graduate Student Awards – Reviews and rates applications for student financial awards administered by the IMS.
- IMS Student Admissions – Review of applications and recommendations for admission to the IMS graduate program.
- IMS Graduate Teaching:
- Course Director and Instructor of a new Graduate Course
- Short course offering (module) in MSC1010Y-1011Y
- IMS Translational Research Program, Biomedical Communication or Medical Radiation Science Programs, or other IMS Programs
- IMS Curriculum – Reviews and monitors all course offerings by the IMS and recommends and implements changes to the curriculum.
- Other Involvements – e.g., (i) Engaging the next generation of graduate students via the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) and/or (ii) Leadership in IMS Scientific Day; and/or (iii) Representing IMS in individual ad-hoc committees in the support of graduate training initiatives in the Faculty of Medicine and University of Toronto.Important: Your Graduate Faculty Membership with IMS is potentially renewable subject to IMS review of activities during the term of this appointment. Please note that your appointment will not be activated until we receive this information from you.
Please also familiarize yourself with the IMS Student Funding Policy and Graduate Supervision responsibilities:
For information on Graduate Supervision please visit www.sgs.utoronto.ca/supervison/guidelines.pdf
For information on IMS Funding Policies and Responsibilities please visit: