Monday, March 12, 2018 09:30 am - Monday, March 26, 2018 04:30 pm
|Deadlines:||Online application opens: March 12, 9:30am
Online application closes: March 26, 4:30pm
Deadline for supervisors to submit online approval: April 2, 4:30pm
|Value/Duration:||Value dependent on registration fee & location of event|
|Level of Study:||Full-time master’s or doctoral students|
|Required Legal Status:||Domestic or international|
|Results:||Mid-May (via U of T email address)|
The SGS Conference Grant provides modest financial support to eligible students who will be actively presenting their research at an academic conference.
This grant aims to provide successful applicants with funds to cover at least the minimum registration fee for the proposed conference as well as a modest top-up, when possible. Applicants are expected to seek support from various other sources in order to supplement their travel and other related expenses.
Eligibility to Apply
Preference will be given to students who are in the early stages of their academic career. SGS Conference Grants are typically not awarded to students who are beyond the program length required for their degree.
Students can apply for the grant before receiving acceptance to present at the conference.
- Be registered full-time in a graduate degree program (master’s or doctoral) at the time of each of the following:
- Conference presentation; and
- Requesting payment of grant;
NOTE: Students are typically not registered during the session in which convocation occurs (e.g. not registered in September for November convocation).
- Be actively presenting their research (relevant to their current degree program) at an academic conference that occurs between March 1, 2018 – September 30, 2018;
- For students traveling outside of Canada (including USA): Be compliant with all departmental and U of T Safety Abroad procedures prior to departure (see “Safety Abroad” below);
- Have not received payment for an SGS Conference Grant during their current graduate degree program.
All U of T students travelling outside of Canada (including USA) must complete all Safety Abroad requirements before travel occurs (regardless of receiving SGS Conference Grant support). Travel conducted without completing all requirements will cause automatic forfeiture of the SGS Conference Grant.
All of the following steps must be completed prior to departure:
- Complete the online registration request form. This should occur at least one month before departure. The Safety Abroad Office will register the student and send a confirmation email
- Sign on to the Safety Abroad Database and complete a profile, including emergency contact and passport and travel health insurance information
- Attend the appropriate Safety Abroad Workshop (valid for 1.5 years)
- Sign and submit waivers to the Safety Abroad Office
- Submit a Safety Planning Record (if applicable)
- Obtain supplementary health insurance (if not already covered).
For travel to a region designated by Global Affairs Canada as “Avoid Non-Essential Travel” or “Avoid All Travel,” students must contact the Safety Abroad Office at email@example.com as soon as possible to request special approval for the trip.
Please contact the Safety Abroad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on this process and/or the requirements.
Full instructions are available on the SGS Conference Grant webpage. The online application will be available between Monday March 12th and March 26th.
- One application may be submitted per applicant in support of one conference;
- The applicant will be required to enter their UTORid and password into the application;
- The application can be saved in draft form after completing the second page and will time out after two hours; and
- The application cannot be modified after submission. If an error is discovered once it has been submitted, a new application must be created to replace the original application. Please email email@example.com to inform SGS of the second corrected application.
Applicants are encouraged to:
- Notify their supervisor/advisor that they will be submitting an SGS Conference Grant application which will require their approval and advise them of the deadline;
- Confirm their supervisor/advisor’s correct email address to ensure the supervisor/advisor section of the application is sent to the correct email address for completion;
- Be mindful of the deadline date to ensure their supervisor/advisor completes their portion on time; and
- Register on the Safety Abroad Database as soon as they have confirmed travel plans.
All applicants will receive an email with their result via their U of T email address in mid-May.
Successful applicants will receive information regarding the offer amount and the terms and conditions of the grant. SGS Conference Grants cannot be deferred beyond a return date of September 30, 2018. Successful applicants can request to apply their grant to a different conference after receiving the results of their application – full details regarding request for changes are provided on the SGS Conference Grant webpage.
Note: Once results have been distributed, the value of an offer cannot be increased.
To receive payment, awardees must submit the following required documents within 14 days of the completion of their trip and no later than October 15, 2018 or by the end of the awardee’s last registered session, whichever is earlier. NOTE: Students are typically not registered during the session in which convocation occurs (e.g. not registered in September for November convocation):
- A completed Payment Activation Form;
Awardees will be expected to confirm on this form that all Safety Abroad requirements were completed prior to travel outside of Canada. Conference travel conducted without completing all Safety Abroad requirements will cause automatic forfeiture of the SGS Conference Grant.
- Proof of conference attendance and active-participation; and
- a) Screenshot of, or URL to, webpage where online conference program, applicant’s name and title of presentation are posted (title and location of conference must be visible); or
- b) Official certificate of attendance/participation from conference organizer listing conference’s title and location, applicant’s name and title of presentation
- Registration fee invoice.
- a) Receipt issued by the conference organizer showing the amount of the paid registration fee and the title of the conference
- If the registration amount listed (as advertised) is significantly lower than the proposed registration fee amount the applicant specified within their application, the value of the grant may be adjusted accordingly. However, SGS Conference Grant offers cannot be increased.
- If the invoice is in a currency other than Canadian dollars (CAD), the applicant must provide a conversion showing the foreign currency amount and its equivalent amount in Canadian dollars (CAD)
- b) If registration fee will be waived / covered by the conference organizer:
Applicants may enter the advertised registration fee amount (at the student-rate) into their application and receive an offer that consists of both the registration fee and location top-up amounts, if the applicant will also be able to provide the following items:
- A screenshot from the conference organizer’s website (title of conference visible) showing the advertised registration fee amount at the student-rate; and
- Email / letter from the conference organizer (title of conference mentioned) confirming that the applicant’s registration fee will be waived / covered
These documents must be sent as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org Please allow two to three weeks for payment through ACORN.
Failure to submit the required documentation by the above deadline will result in cancellation of the grant.
Contact and Resources
For more information, please visit the SGS Conference Grant webpage or contact:
Graduate Awards Officer (Internal)
School of Graduate Studies