Friday, October 6, 2017 11:59 pm - Friday, October 6, 2017 11:59 pm
See application details below.
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships aims to support outstanding students who are interested in growing in a multidisciplinary learning environment and in addressing important questions for Canada and the world. Each year, the Foundation awards up to fifteen (15) scholarships to Canadian and foreign doctoral students pursuing research related to one of its four founding themes: human rights and dignity, responsible citizenship, Canada in the world, & People and their natural environment.
|Student Submission Deadline:||October 6, 2017|
|Value/Duration:||$40,000 (+ up to $20,000 travel) per year for three years|
|Level of Study:||Doctoral|
|Required Legal Status:||Domestic or International|
|Results:||Late April directly by Foundation|
Eligibility to Apply
- Be applying to or registered full-time in the 1st or 2nd year of a doctoral program in the humanities and social sciences; and
- Be Canadian citizens studying in or outside of Canada, or non-Canadians studying in Canada.
Up to one in four scholarships per year may be given to a non-Canadian (permanent resident or foreign national) enrolled full-time in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution. This applies in particular to students from emerging nations.
Candidates are expected to demonstrate:
- A track record of academic excellence of the highest level;
- Exceptional communication and public engagement skills;
- The desire to contribute to public dialogue, transmit knowledge, and to be involved in the community with other researchers or scholars; and
- Thematic relevance of the doctoral research to one or more of the Foundation’s themes.
Application & Nomination Process
Detailed information on the U of T application process can be found within the “Instructions for Applicants” document. In summary, applicants must:
1) Complete the online application through the Foundation’s portal including:
- Uploading scanned copies of their current official transcripts from all post-secondary studies including grading legends to the online application;
- Entering the contact information for three (3) referees; and
- Submitting the complete application online by October 6th.
2) Submit the above completed application including transcripts to the IMS by October 6th. Graduate units will receive applicants’ reference letters through SGS.
The SGS Graduate Awards Officer (Internal) will notify the units’ nominees of the University competition results in December (graduate units will be copied).
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation will directly notify semi-finalists in early February. In early-mid March, approx. 30 finalists will be selected and invited to an interview at the Foundation offices in Montréal. Unsuccessful nominees will be directly notified by the Foundation via mail. Up to 15 Pierre Elliot Trudeau Scholars will be chosen and notified by late April but will not be publicly announced by the Foundation until early June.
Please be reminded that all U of T students travelling outside of Canada who are conducting research and/or are receiving funding or sanctioning through the University must comply with U of T’s safety abroad requirements before departure.
Failure to comply with the following procedures may result in withdrawal of funding, emergency support and/or academic credit; students may be required to provide confirmation:
- Complete the online registration request form. This should occur at least one month before departure. The Safety Abroad Office will register the student and send a confirmation email.
- Sign on to the Safety Abroad Database and complete a profile, including emergency contact, passport and travel health insurance information.
- Attend the appropriate Safety Abroad Workshop
- Sign and submit waivers to the Safety Abroad Office.
- Obtain supplementary health insurance (if not already covered).
For travel to a region designated by the Global Affairs Canada as “Avoid Non-Essential Travel” or “Avoid All Travel” students must contact the Safety Abroad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to request special approval for the trip.
Questions on these requirements and/or the process can be directed to:
Safety Abroad Office
Contacts & Resources
For more information, please contact:
Graduate Awards Officer (Internal)
Graduate Awards Office