Wednesday, August 30, 2017 05:00 pm - Wednesday, August 30, 2017 05:00 pm
See application details below.
** PLEASE BE REMINDED THAT THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS AUGUST 30, 2017 AT 5PM. Despite what the Research NET deadline says, the IMS must receive the application by the above deadline as the internal adjudication process will begin immediately. The references and transcripts must also be received by this deadline.**
The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health. The Vanier CGS program strongly encourages candidates to pursue their studies beyond the university that granted their previous degree(s).
|Student submission deadline:||Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at 5pm|
|Value/Duration:||$50,000 per year for three years|
|Level of study:||To support PhD, or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD|
|Required Legal Status:||Domestic or International|
|Results:||March 31, 2018 directly from Vanier|
Candidates must be nominated by the institution at which they wish to study and hold the award. Candidates seeking institutional nomination must first receive the endorsement of their proposed graduate unit through a local selection process. Candidates seeking this endorsement must submit a completed Vanier CGS application using the ResearchNet application system.
Eligibility to Apply:
Please visit the the Vanier website for complete eligibility requirements.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, applicants must:
- be pursuing their first doctoral degree (or the PhD portion of a joint program including MD/PhD, JD/PhD) full-time at the nominating university in the academic year immediately following the of release of results in March;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2018 (seecalculating months of doctoral studies);
- have achieved a first-class average (A-), in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent;
- have not already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD); and
- be nominated by only one Canadian university, which has received a Vanier CGS allocation.
Applicants should refer to the Vanier website for step by step application/nomination instructions.
Please note the following:
- Candidates must complete the entire application process by 5:00 pm, Wednesday, August 30, 2017 to be eligible for consideration. NO LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. This is a two-step process:
1) the online submission of a completed Vanier CGS application via ResearchNet; and
2) a printed, hard copy submission to the IMS Office (MSB 2374) of the entire application including all original official transcripts (in separate, sealed envelopes). For current students, U of T transcripts must show that you are registered for the Fall 2017-18 term. ROSI printouts will not be accepted. Foreign transcripts: If you are unable to obtain an official foreign transcript, please contact the IMS at firstname.lastname@example.org REMINDER: Institutions will be required to include an evaluation/summary of all foreign transcripts. In order to assist with this task, foreign transcripts submitted by the applicant should be accompanied by a grade legend.)
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete the “Identify Referee” task on ResearchNet well in advance as referee assessments must be completed and submitted by the referee before the student can complete the submission process.
- CHANGES to Student Application:
Please note that starting summer/fall 2017:
o Applicants are required to upload two leadership reference letters as two PDF attachments (previously only one was required), in addition to two confidential academic assessments submitted directly to ResearchNet by the referees. Tip: Vanier recommends that the four assessments come from four individuals but letters from the same sources will not be declared ineligible.
- All information about interruptions to a student’s academic career, choice of nominating institution, and mobility must be included either in the Personal Leadership Statement or the Research Proposal. The “special circumstances” attachment is to solely be used for calculating the number of months completed in PhD studies by the Vanier Secretariat and will no longer be forwarded to the selection committee.
- The students’ proposed research project and doctoral program of study must be eligible within the mandate of the agency to which the nomination will be submitted. If there is any doubt (especially for those applying to SSHRC or NSERC whose subject matter touches upon health in any capacity), students are urged to email the granting agency directly with a one page summary of their research to seek written confirmation in advance of submitting their application. Complete guidelines on selecting the appropriate federal granting agency are available at www.science.gc.ca. Lastly, if the applicant is applying for both a doctoral award and a Vanier, both applications must be under the same agency.
Contacts & Resources:
Questions regarding the Vanier Awards competition can be directed to Vanier at email@example.com, or the Graduate Awards Office at the School of Graduate Studies by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 416-946-0808.
For more information visit: