Wednesday, December 6, 2017 04:30 pm - Wednesday, December 6, 2017 04:30 pm
See application details below.
In honour of the significant contribution made by Professor Adel S. Sedra, former Vice President and Provost, to the University of Toronto, the University of Toronto Alumni Association (UTAA) has established this award to recognize a doctoral student who demonstrates outstanding academic achievement and extracurricular leadership.
|Student Submission Deadline to SGS:||December 6, 2017 (4:30pm)|
|Value/Duration:||Up to $25,000 for 1 year; finalists receive $1,000 each|
|Level of Study:||Doctoral – second or third year (see below)|
|Required Legal Status:||Domestic or International|
|Results:||Communicated by SGS in late January|
Eligibility to Apply
Applicants must be registered and in good standing in their second or third year of a doctoral program (third or fourth year of a direct-entry doctoral) at the University of Toronto at the time of nomination. The scholarship is not open to students pursuing their master’s degrees (please see UTAA’s website for complete eligibility requirements).
The successful candidate:
- Will have an outstanding academic record and be making exceptional progress in their doctoral program, as demonstrated by academic records, letters of recommendation and other measures of scholarship;
- Should be involved in work that reflects a concerted effort to understand and respond to the changing intellectual landscape in their field of study; and
- Should have demonstrated a commitment during their doctoral program to enhancing the student experience of their peers through extracurricular leadership within the University and involvement in the life of the University. Of equal importance will be the candidate’s commitment to community outreach and involvement, as demonstrated by extracurricular activities outside of the University.
Applicants must ensure that a complete application package is provided to the Graduate Awards Office (63 St. George Street, 2nd floor reception) in hardcopy by 4:30pm on Wednesday, December 6, 2017. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Completed application form (found on the University of Toronto Alumni website)
- Curriculum vitae outlining academic achievements, scholarships and awards received, plus publications, work experience, and extracurricular involvement both inside and outside the University. Extracurricular experience should be clearly separated into two categories: inside and outside the University. (NOTE: only achievements/contributions during the applicant’s doctoral program will be considered.)
- Statement of no more than 500 words about the applicant’s future academic and career goals
- Original or certified/validated copies of up-to-date official transcripts from master’s and doctoral level studies. Direct-entry doctoral students must also supply original or certified/validated copies of their official undergraduate transcripts
- Certification/validation may be performed by the graduate unit. If the graduate unit is not able to certify/validate a transcript, it is each applicant’s responsibility to obtain and provide within their application package an original official transcript that was issued by the appropriate institution
- Grading legends must be provided with every transcript. Copies of unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts should not be mailed or emailed to the Graduate Awards Office
- Three or four supporting letters of recommendation from the following list of people in signed and sealed envelopes. Referees (particularly those overseas) may email their letters as a PDF attachment directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline
- Thesis supervisor or supervisory committee member who can comment on the applicant’s academic progress
- Member of the teaching staff (of the department/s in which the applicant is registered) who can comment on the student’s academic progress and/or involvement in university life
- Up to two (2) additional letters of recommendation that attest to the student’s academic and extracurricular leadership
By late January, the Adel S. Sedra Committee will invite selected candidates for an interview and SGS will notify unsuccessful applicants. The Sedra Scholar and all finalists are honoured at the annual Awards of Excellence ceremony held each spring.
Contacts & Resources
For more information, please contact:
Graduate Awards Officer (Internal)
Graduate Awards Office