Monday, October 3, 2016 11:59 pm - Monday, October 3, 2016 11:59 pm
See application details below.
The Trudeau Foundation aims to support doctoral candidates who are pursuing research of compelling present-day concern (touching upon one or more of the Foundation’s themes mentioned below). Trudeau Scholars are expected to become leading national and international figures.
|Student Submission Deadline:||October 3, 2016|
|Value/Duration:||$40,000 (+ up to $20,000 travel) per year for three years|
|Level of Study:||Doctoral|
|Required Legal Status:||Canadian citizen, landed immigrant, or foreign national|
|Results:||Communicated by agency in mid-March|
Eligibility to Apply
- Be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant or foreign national (preference for candidates from developing countries)
- Be applying to or registered full-time within the 1st or 2nd year of a doctoral program in the social sciences and humanities
- Demonstrate a track record of academic achievements of the highest level
- Demonstrate active engagement within their specific field
- Demonstrate exceptional skills to engage in lively exchanges with other researchers
- Demonstrate the intention to work within and contribute to public dialogue in an area that is related to one or more of the Foundation’s themes
Although the Foundation’s thematic-matter above may appear to favour certain disciplines, the Foundation strongly encourages the nomination of individuals from the full range of disciplines within the social sciences and humanities.
Please be reminded that all U of T students travelling outside of Canada who are conducting research and/or are receiving funding or sanctioning through the University must comply with U of T’s safety abroad requirements before departure.
Failure to comply with these procedures may result in withdrawal of funding, emergency support and/or academic credit.
- To initiate the process, students must complete and submit the Safety Abroad Online Database Registration Request Form at least 1 month in advance of departure
- For travel to a region designated by theDepartment of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) as “Avoid Non-Essential Travel” or “Avoid All Travel”, students must request special approval from the Safety Abroad Office at least 1 month in advance of departure
Questions on these requirements and/or the process can be directed to:
Safety Abroad Office
1) Applicants must:
- “Create an Account” through the Foundation’s portal: https://trudeaufdn.fluxx.io/user_sessions/new
- After clicking “Submit Request”, further instructions are emailed to the applicant’s specified email address within 48 hours
- Complete the online application form through their account on the Foundation’s portal
- Print the completed application form and submit the hardcopy – along with original transcripts from all post-secondary studies – to the graduate unit by the unit’s internal deadline. No other supporting documentation will be accepted.
- Ensure that their three letters of reference are sent by the referees directly to the graduate unit by the unit’s internal deadline (letters must be signed and clearly state the name and contact information of the referee; if sent via email, letter must be from an email address that clearly identifies the referee and contain his/her contact information)
- Two letters from academic referees concerning the applicant’s academic achievements
- One letter from a non-academic referee concerning the non-academic aspects of the application
- Documentation sent directly (by the applicant, unit, or referee) to the Trudeau Foundation will not be considered
- Documents in a language other than English requires an official English translation
SGS will notify all applicants forwarded to SGS of the results of the University competition by late-November.
The Trudeau Foundation will invite selected semi-finalists to submit a video via a web platform (early February), and finalists to an interview at the Foundation offices in Montréal (in mid-late March), and notify unsuccessful nominees by mail.
Contacts & Resources
For more information, please contact:
Graduate Awards Office