Exit off canvas


2020-2021 Course Deadlines and Dates

aug 1First date to enroll in IMS Fall, Winter and Full Year courses for 2019 – 20.
sep 8Most formal graduate courses and seminars begin.
sep 21Final date to add full-year and Fall session courses.
oct 26Final date to drop Fall session courses without academic penalty.
jan 13Fall Session grades available for viewing on ACORN.
jan 18Final date to add winter session courses.
feb 27Final date to drop full-year and Winter session courses without academic penalty.
may 19Winter session grades available for viewing on ACORN.

How to Enroll in Courses

IMS students can enroll online via ACORN.  More detailed information on how to use both systems can be found on the Student Web Services Website. Contact the IMS Office if you need help.

Students in Neuroanatomy ClassThere are two components to course registration:

  • Request the course. You will need the following information to request enrollment in a course online:
    • Activity Code = The identifying code of a course or activity (i.e. HIS2651Y) Y indicates a full credit course, and H indicates a half credit course.
    • Session Code = When the course starts (20189 is September 2018; 20191 is January 2019)
    • Section Code = Usually F (first term), S (second term), or both (Y)
  • Make sure to check the status of your courses regularly. After your have requested enrollment in a course, your request will be reviewed and approved or refused by both the graduate unit offering the course, and the IMS.

Some courses are uploaded automatically: RST9999Y = This is the research/thesis component of your degree, not a specific course. You will see continuous enrollment in RST9999Y until you have completed your degree. This will change from IPR (in progress) to CR (credit) following your convocation cycle. MSC1010Y or MSC1011Y (students prior to September 2020)/MSC1010H or MSC1011H (students starting in September 2020) = These are the IMS Student Seminar programs. You will be enrolled in one of these two courses for the first two years of your degree program, or until you have completed the course requirements.

Courses Offered in Other Departments Offered by Other UniversitiesTransferring Credit

Enrolling in Graduate Courses Offered by Other Departments

For most courses outside the IMS, you are required to submit an Add/Drop Course Form signed by your supervisor and the appropriate authority (course director or graduate coordinator) of the (host) Department offering the graduate course. Download and complete the form and bring it to the department offering the graduate course for signature.  Once the other graduate unit has approved your course request they will “open a spot” for you in the course on ACORN and you can request the course. Then email or bring the form to the IMS office for signature (at least one week is needed to obtain a signature).  Once this signature is obtained, your course will be approved on ACORN.

Enrolling  in Graduate Courses Offered by Other Universities

There are specific guidelines on how to take a course at another University for credit, depending on the University offering the course.  Most Canadian Universities have agreements that are arranged to simplify registration and reduce/eliminate course fees. Contact the IMS Office for assistance in enrolling in non-UofT courses.

 Transferring Credit for Previously Completed Courses to your IMS Degree Program

With the approval of the IMS and the School of Graduate Studies, transfer credit may be granted for graduate work completed in another program, provided that the course(s) has not been credited towards another degree, diploma, certificate or any other qualification. Transfer credit will be limited to one full course or 25% of the program course requirements, whichever is greater. In order to request a transfer credit, you will need to submit the following to the IMS: a course outline/syllabus, an official transcript from the University where you took the course, and a Transfer Credit Form.